Best of Rome without Vatican
We will then proceed to the stunning Spanish steps, climbing a steep slope between the Piazza di Spagna at the base and Piazza Trinita dei Monti. The steps were built to link the Trinita dei Monti church that was under the patronage of the king of France, with the Spanish square down below. The long triangular Spanish square is named after the Spanish Ambassador to the Holy Sea.
No trip to Rome is complete without visiting the famous Trevi Fountain. Located in the Roman Quuirinale district, it is one of the most stunning water features in the world. The Trevi Fountain is one of the oldest water sources in Rome. Roughly 3000 euros is thrown into it every day, as people follow the tradition of throwing a coin over their shoulders. The money is collected for charity and it is a crime to steal the coins from the fountain.
Climb to the top of the famous Capitolin Hill. These steps were designed by Michelangelo to observe the superb panorama of the Roman Forum and the Rostrum that stands upon it. It is a platform from where Roman leader Julius Caesar addressed the city's people.
Take a stride through Piazza Navona, a marvel spread over three Baroque fountains by Berninin. From there, it's a short walk to the Pantheon, a classic Roman temple built by Agrippa in 27BC. Tour the cast Coliseum and imagine its prime day 2,000 years ago when there were approximately 50,000 spectators, gladiators and animals packed into caged below the arena fighting to the death. Explore this well-renowned structure, today standing with original wall sections at their full height and exposed brick-faced concrete - the largest amphitheater ever built. It concludes with one of the most important commemorative monuments, the highest and best-preserved arch of triumph in Rome, the Arch of Constantine, located in the valley of the Coliseum. It represents Maxentius' victory in the battle at the Milvian Bridge in 312 CE.
Once your group is together you will then proceed to the city of Rome. This will take approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach the center of Rome from Civitavecchia Port SUGGESTED ITINERARY First stop COLOSSEUM: the most ancient site in ROME. After about 90 minute drive you will approach the area of the Colosseum. Your English-speaking driver will provide you with the most relevant historical explanations of the Colosseum. After the explanations, your English speaking driver will lead you over to the entrance, showing you how to get through the security checkpoint (note that the metal detector is something that you will have to wait at until your turn comes, even if you have already purchased the entrance tickets. There is no "skip-the-line" at the metal detector, and that is why we have to try to be at the Colosseum first thing in the morning in order avoid the big crowds of tourists). Once through the metal detector you will have easy access pass the tickets machine and you will be in. You can always plan to visit it only from the outside and that case there will not be any ticket (s) needed.
Second stop. Your driver-guide will drive you to explore this underground world. You will be with another English speaking people escorted in the tunnels by a guide that works at the Catacombs. The visit will last around 45 minutes. Guided tour included in the E8pp ticket.
APPIAN WAY & CIRCUS MAXIMUS
APPIAN WAY: Walk on the first road ever built by human-beings
CIRCUS MAXIMUS: stop on the side of it and admire what is left of it with the view of the Palatine Hill
TIME FOR A BREAK
You will decide what to eat and which kind of lunch to go for. We will give you several options (something quick to go, something intermediate for a pizza or a salad, or something authentic off-the-beaten path only where locals eat)
explore the most amazing building in ROME, still intact and filled with history
Go and toss your coin and wish to come back to our city
Best driving-by but we can stop right on top of them to admire from a view the density of this elegant shopping area of the city and then back to the port by 05.00 pm.
Note that the order of the sites might change due to crowds situation. In certain occasions the Colosseum will be done starting from 2.00 pm as last site of the day, to avoid the crowds in the AM. No matter when, there might be some wait at the entrance of the Colosseum due to the metal detector check points even if you have already pre-bought your tickets.
- Pick up time: 7.30 am or as for your confirmation.
- Return time: 4-5pm or as for your confirmation.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT WE RESERVE ALL RIGHTS TO CHANGE THE ORDER OF ITINERARY. IF NECESSARY AT OUR DISCRETION DUE TO NATURAL CAUSES (ENVIRONMENTAL) OR POLITICAL REASONS (STRIKE / PROTEST)
Each additional hour is at the cost of E50.
One of our professional, knowledgeable English speaking driver guides will be waiting at pick up location (where you will be tendered) or agreed location at 8 am, or according to the agreed time. Your driver will be holding a sign with your or your party's name on it.
Suggested 7:30 am to avoid big crowds at least in the first part of the morning (it is flexible then you decide when). Back to the port at 4:30 pm (with plenty of time not to miss the ship)
PICK UP PLACE: Right from dock site. As soon as you disembark your ship you will see your private driver holding a sign with your name on it.
- Ports (Pick up is normally 8am or otherwise agreed upon)
Our escort driver will be waiting at the gangway of your cruise ship or outside the cruise ship terminal. The escort driver will be holding up a sign with the group's name on it. The email that accompanies the voucher you receive at the time of booking will indicate the meeting point for each specific port. We recommend that you meet onboard before exiting the ship. This way you are all together when meeting your escort driver and the tour can commence much more efficiently. Otherwise, the wait time for others will be 20minutes, after which time the tour will proceed.
The escort driver will be waiting at the arrival lobby holding a sign with the name in which the reservation was made under or otherwise stated.
Escort driver will be waiting at the lobby of the hotel. Normally pick up is 8:30 am or otherwise stated.
Resident / B & B
The escort driver will be waiting outside the main doors of the building.
RomaRoma, RM, Italia
- Luxury, private air-conditioned vehicle.
- English-speaking driver or escort guide.
- Parking, highway tolls, fuel, all taxes and driver maintenance included.
- Gratuities ranging between 10-20 percent(optional but appreciated)
- No admission to any sites
- PRICES ARE IN EURO
- EVERY EXTRA HOUR IS 60 EURO
- For lunch you will have a choice of either grabbing a bite to go or a leisurely meal in a local restaurant. Your driver will make recommendations. Lunch can range from E10-E40
- Please note: In regards to the Coliseum, they have changed their security policy and have implemented a metal detector which all guests must go through. This may delay entry time, even though you may have purchased “the skip the line tickets” The wait time will depend upon the tourists Even in low season, the wait time to enter can be take a while and will affect the timing available to see other sites in Rome. We want to be transparent so there is no misunderstanding or disappointment
- Please note that there is NO TOUR AT THE COLOSSEUM, but only A VISIT ON Your OWN AFTER THE EXPLANATION is provided by the escort driver. As well when visiting the Forum, need over 1.5 hour on foot under the sun. Please be where if visiting during the month of June /summer it could be over 90 degrees. Time slot for tickets should be around 10:00am-10:15am
- For groups of more than 8 people from Civitavecchia Port we only provide multiple minivans with the maximum number of 8 people in each minivan. This is because minibuses are prohibited from entering the town center. Therefore, a waste of time will incur walking to the destinations, by minivans you will get to your destination directly without wasting time.